Sunday, December 30, 2007

IPv6

Managed to refresh my understanding of IPv6. Seems to work quite well and isn't flaky from what I have seen. Documentation of the Cisco doc CD seems well written so it should be ok.
  • dynamic routing works with link local addresses only .: any layer 2 to layer 3 mappings should be done for both global and link local addresses
  • NBMA always needs static mappings as there is no IPv6 equivalent to inverse-arp; unless using point to point connection where only the layer 2 and layer 3 address needs to be assigned to the interface.
PC seems to get a bit hot... reaches 75C when all the routers are running at full steam. I added a extra fan to extract air at the back which helped bring it down a bit. I might just try running the PC with the side of the case removed... that could help it stay cool...

Feel much better as I have a good understanding of the core technologies but there is still plenty to learn.... will take an estimated 5 months before I'm ready...... May 07 it is then.

No comments: